Lenovo and Alibaba are reportedly creating a joint venture to make smart TVs.
The smart TV development team spun off from Lenovo will develop hardware for the joint venture and the smart TVs will be pre-loaded with Aliyun OS, the custom Android system developed by Alibaba, according to multiple media reports. Products by the JV will be sold through online distribution channels including Alibaba’s Tmall marketplace.
Alibaba Group has made a strategic investment in Shanghai YTO Express (Logistics) Co., Ltd. together with YF Capital, the venture capital firm co-founded by Alibaba’s Jack Ma. Financial terms were not disclosed.
YTO Express was founded in 2000 and now has a 20% share of China’s parcel delivery market, according to Alibaba Group.
63% of users of MIUI, the custom Android system pre-loaded on Xiaomi phones and available for free download, are in the 18 to 29 demographic and 27% are between 30 to 39. 9% are under 18 years of age.
About 40% are female, up from 30% in June 2014.
Xiaomi shipped a total of 87.3 million phones as of the end of 2014, so the majority of MIUI users, which reached 100 million in January this year, are gained through Xiaomi phone sales.
- NetEase reports first quarter results. Mobile gaming accounts for 20% of its total gaming revenues, up from 10% in the previous quarter, the management said on the conference call.
- Vipshop reports first quarter results.
- Ctrip posts first quarter results.
- Phoenix New Media reports first quarter earnings.
- WoWo reports first quarter results.